Click image for larger detailed map.
Madison County at-large
I want to begin by saying thanks to the people of Madison County for allowing me to serve as your chairman. We together have proven that a new energetic idea in local government can make a difference! Although we have only begun, I hope I have stood strong by my motto "People may doubt what you say, but they will believe what you do!" I would also like to thank the other members of the Commission for their sincere willingness to work as a team and make compromise for the betterment of all Madison County. The best is yet to come! Joshua 1:9.
Dale W. Strong was elected Chairman of the Madison County Commission in November 2012 and reelected to a 2nd term in November 2016. Born at Medical Center Hospital in Huntsville, Alabama, Dale has lived in Madison County all his life. His wife, Laura, has a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from Auburn University. She is also a graduate from the University of Alabama in Birmingham with a Bachelor of Science in Hospital Administration, and Alabama A & M University with a Master’s in Education. Chairman Strong and his wife have a daughter, Whitney Louise Strong and a son, Harrison Dale Strong. Chairman Strong is the son of the late Horace N. Strong, III and Judy Vaughn Strong. Dale is a member of Mt. Zion Baptist Church.
Before Dale set his sights on being a Madison County Commissioner, he worked for First Alabama Bank in Public Relations and Solvay Pharmaceutical as a Sales Representative. He has also served as a 911 Dispatcher and worked with Huntsville Emergency Medical Services, Inc. (HEMSI) and Huntsville Med-Flight. Dale continues to serve as an active member of the Monrovia Volunteer Fire Department as a volunteer firefighter and an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT). His commitment to the service of others and his community was recognized when he was awarded the Medal of Valor following the devastating tornado on Airport Road in Huntsville in November 1989.
In 1996, Dale was the youngest elected official in the State of Alabama when he began his first of four consecutive terms as a Madison County Commissioner. During his 16 years as Commissioner, Dale directed the accelerated growth of his District through successful management of ALDOT and ATRIP road projects and improvements during one of the largest residential building development periods in Madison County. Dale also led the efforts to bring a much-needed 60-bed hospital to serve the growing population in western Madison County. One of Dale’s most challenging responsibilities as Commissioner was the direction of the recovery and clean-up following the deadly tornadoes which struck his beloved community on April 27, 2011. Now known as the worst natural disaster in the history of the State of Alabama, more than 350 homes were totally destroyed throughout his District, thousands sustained major damage, and nine of his neighbors lost their lives. Strong led a remarkable clean-up and rebuilding effort where more than 500,000 cubic yards of debris was removed in record time.
As Madison County Commission Chairman, Mr. Strong's priorities continue to be public safety, accountability, and equality, while working to attract new jobs and industry to the most rapidly growing region in Alabama.
EDUCATION AND PUBLIC SERVICE TRAINING
- Sparkman High School, Harvest, AL – 1988
- Athens State University, BS in Business Administration – 1992
- The University of Alabama in Huntsville, Emergency Medical Technician
- The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Emergency Medical Technician
CIVIC AND GOVERNMENT ACTIVITIES
- Chairman, Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO)
- The University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAH) Presidential Advisory Committee
- Executive Committee, Huntsville/Madison County Chamber of Commerce
- Stakeholder, National Children’s Advocacy Center
- Lifetime Member, Monrovia Volunteer Fire & Rescue
- Charter Member, Monrovia Parks and Recreation
- Member – Class 11, Leadership Huntsville/Madison County
- Capital Committee Member, Hogan Family YMCA, Madison, AL
- University of Alabama – Birmingham Medical School Advisory Board (1997-2000)
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Athens State University Alumni Association, Distinguished Alumnus Award – 2017
- Boy Scouts of America, Heart of an Eagle Award – 2018
- The University of Alabama in Huntsville, Honorary Doctorate-Humane Letters – 2019
MADISON COUNTY LIAISON
- Emergency Management Agency (EMA)
- Huntsville-Madison County Airport Authority
- Industrial Development Board (IDB) of the City of Huntsville
- Madison County Sheriff’s Office
Chairman Dale W. Strong
County Commission Office, (256) 532-3795
Fax (256) 532-6943
100 North Side Square, Suite 700
Huntsville, AL 35801
|Melissa Tyson, Assistant to the Chairmanfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Kevin Jones, County Administratoremail@example.com|
|Jeff Rich, County Attorneyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Carol Long, Chief Financial Officeremail@example.com|
|Jennifer Gordon, Commerce & External Affairs Directorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Sandra Hauser, Payroll Supervisoremail@example.com|