Homestead Exemption Policy
One can be granted a homestead exemption if the single-family residence is their primary residence on October 1 of the tax year for which the property owner is applying. Deadline to apply is December 31st.
Documentation needed to claim homestead:
1. Copy of Deed with correct address, legal description, & names.
2. Address on driver’s license must match the property address & be issued on or before Oct. 1.
-If one wishes to change the address on their license, they will need to go to the License Director’s office to make change and get a duplicate license. *If address on driver’s license is changed between Oct. 1 and Dec. 31, a homeowner’s insurance policy AND utility set date letter from Huntsville Utilities will also be required to apply for a homestead exemption. A set date letter can be obtained by calling Huntsville Utilities customer service at 256-535-1200.
3. Until they change their driver’s license to match their new address we can grant a second home status (10% rate) with the following documents: A homeowner’s insurance policy AND utility set date letter from Huntsville Utilities.
Once license is changed to match new address they can bring it back & get the additional homestead, which in most cases is $48.
4. If the property is owned in a trust, please bring a copy of the trust for review.
Out of state license
(Code of Alabama, 1975 §32-6-1) “Every new resident of the State of Alabama shall procure an Alabama’s driver’s license within 30 days after establishing residence in this state.”
Homeowners that have an out of state driver’s license and are applying for a homestead exemption must have documentation:
Do you still have homestead on a home in another state? If so, we need a statement from the prior county taxing official, on their letterhead, that you no longer claim a homestead in their county.
Until we get the letter or until one changes their driver’s license to match their new address we can grant a second home status (10% rate) with the following documents:
- The declaration page of the homeowner’s insurance covering Oct. 1st AND utility set date letter from Huntsville Utilities.
The homestead in most cases is an additional $48 savings and can be granted when the license is updated.
If one has an active duty military I.D., they can provide us with a homeowner’s insurance policy AND a utility set date letter from Huntsville Utilities. They do not necessarily have to change their driver’s license.
**Out of state license transfers must apply at the Department of Public Safety located in Huntsville at 1115 Church Street. Can also visit offices in Scottsboro, Guntersville, Decatur & Athens.
For additional questions or information contact or visit the Tax Assessor’s office located on the 5th floor of the Madison County Courthouse.
Cliff Mann, Tax Assessor, Madison County, 256-532-3350