Requirements for filing real estate and other legal documents
- We must have the original document for recording. We cannot accept copies unless they have been certified by another court system.
- All documents must show the name and address of the individual who prepared it.
- The marital status of the grantor(s), in deeds, or mortgagor(s), in mortgages, must be shown on the document.
- On any document pertaining to a corporation or LLC, we must have an original plus two copies*. Also, any money payable to Alabama Secretary of State has to be in the form of a check or money order.
- Checks should be made payable to: Probate Judge - Madison County, Alabama.
*In cases of the original formation of a corporation, we must also have three copies of the name reservation from the Alabama Secretary of State. Note that the location of the registered office dictates the county in which you should record your corporation.