Appeals Procces

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Code of Alabama 1975,

40-3-20, 40-3-24, and 40-3-25


If you believe your property value is too high, you may file a written protest with the Madison County Board of Equalization (BOE), Madison County Courthouse, Room 504, 100 Northside Square, Huntsville, AL 35801.  New values are set each year. Upon completion of setting the values notice is given by legal advertisement in the newspaper for two consecutive weeks. Tax payers have 30 days from the date of the second advertisement to file an appeal. New values are usually set in March or April.

Upon your appeal, you will be contacted by a county appraiser to review your valuation. If, after this review you are still not satisfied with your valuation, a hearing will be set for you to formally meet with the BOE to present information you believe justifies a change in value.


Following this hearing, you will be notified of the decision of the Board of Equalization. Appeals may be made to Circuit Court within 30 days from the adjournment of the BOE.


In order to preserve your right to carry the appeal to Circuit Court, taxes must be paid by December 31 or a bond filed in CircuitCourt in double the amount of taxes due.