License Department - Drivers License

Madison County Calendar

Drivers License Information

Map to examiners office and renewal locations


Out of State Procedures

Learner's License



Non-Drivers ID

What does it cost?

Name Change

Address Change

Social Security Office - Location



Commercial Drivers License

International Drivers License

Road Test

Organ Donation



Alabama State Troopers Office
1115-A Church St
Huntsville AL 35801


Alabama State Troopers Office
1115-A Church St
Huntsville AL 35801


334-242-4400 - for suspended license


Madison County Courthouse
100 North Side Square Room 108
Huntsville AL 35801-4820
8:30 am to 5:00 pm

Satellite Locations: Click the "Locations/Hours" tab


Your Alabama driver's license expires four years after it is issued and the expiration date is shown on the license. The license may be renewed at any time within 60 days prior to expiration.

Any valid driver's license in possession of a person on active duty with the armed forces, their dependents, or any person temporarily out of Alabama at license renewal time may be renewed by mail. The required fee (See "What Does It Cost?" section below) should be submitted by cashiers check or money order made payable to the Department of Public Safety and mailed to the Drivers License Division, P O Box 1471, Montgomery AL 36102-1471. The licensee's full name, birth date, and driver license number should be included along with their out-of-state address. The license must bear an Alabama address. You will keep the same picture and signature. You can download the form from the internet at - click on Form.

You may renew your Alabama Drivers license in any county in the State. Alabama no longer sends advance notices when your driver's license is about to expire. You will be notified 30 days after your license has expired to come in and renew your license.

Alabama law grants a grace period of 60 days after the expiration date of a driver's license for the purpose of driver's license renewal and the driver's license shall be valid for this period of time.

An Alabama driver's license may be renewed without examination within a 3 year period after expiration. A license issued under these circumstances will be valid for a four-year period from the last expiration date instead of four years from date of issue. Even though license renewal is possible up to three years after expiration, a person could not legally operate a motor vehicle with an expired license.

You will need to bring your Driver's License with you when you renew your license. If you have lost your license and it is time to renew, you must bring a certified document to renew.

You need to know the answers to the following questions:

  1. Is your Address Correct? This is for your mailing address. The state will NOT forward Drivers Licenses.
  2. Is your Height and Weight correct?
  3. Do you wish to be an organ donor?

If you do not receive your permanent driver's license by the expiration date on your temporary, you will need to contact the State of Alabama at the number on your temporary license.


If you have a valid Out-of-State license, you will take an eye test only. You need your Out-of-State license, Social Security Card and Birth Certificate or U.S. Passport. The fee is $5 cash for your eye exam and $36.25 for your 4-year license. If you wish to add the vessel operator's license, there is an additional $5 cash fee.

Out-of-State license applicants must apply at the Drivers License Test Center at 1115 Church Street between the hours of 8am to 4:30pm.

Additional information is available at the following web site:

If a previous Alabama resident has been out-of-state less than 3 years, you can surrender your license and be re-issued your previous number at the testing offices.

$5, (cash only) Take Eye Exam
$5, (cash only) For Boat Exam
$36.25 (cash) for 4-year license
$36.25 (cash) for duplicate license


The minimum driving age in Alabama is 16. However, there are certain exceptions and restrictions:

Click here for current Alabama learners license exceptions and restrictions

Certified Birth Certificate
School Enrollment Form
If you are 19 and older, you will be exempt from this form.
Social Security Card

$5, written test, eye exam
$36.25, Learners Permit (4 years)

Hours for testing: 8 am to 3 pm Monday through Friday excluding holidays


If your license is lost, destroyed, or becomes illegible, but has not yet expired, you should apply for a duplicate license at the License Department with acceptable identification. No examination is necessary but proof of identity such as a certified birth certificate is required at time of application.

Any person making a false affidavit in obtaining a duplicate driver license may be charged with Forgery (Title 13A-9-3) or Perjury (Title 13A-I 1-102) or both under the Criminal code of Alabama and punished accordingly by fine and imprisonment or both.

If your license has been lost or stolen, you need to report to law enforcement for your protection.

You MUST bring one of the following documents:

  1. Certified Birth Certificate
  2. Valid Passport
  3. Valid Military Identification
  4. Certified School Record (from a local school with applicant's full name and date of birth)
  5. Certified Marriage License (with name and date of birth on it)
  6. Expired license
  7. DD214

Fee: $31.25 for duplicate license (cash or local check)


Forms are available to register to vote when renewing your driver's license. Be sure to complete the form when you change your name or address.

First time voter registration and those from out of state may complete the form and leave with our office.


The Alabama Non-Driver Identification card is for non-drivers only. A citizen of Alabama may apply for a non-driver's identification card at any location where driver testing is done. The same degree of proof of identification required of applicants for a driver's license is required for non-driver ID cards. Identification cards are issued to applicants who do not physically qualify for a driver's license, do not have a current driver's license, or who wish to discontinue driving and surrender their driver's license.

The non-driver identification card bears a number, as well as name, date of birth, address, description of holder, and a color photo of the holder.

There is no examination required for an identification card.


  • Social Security Card - required
  • Certified Birth Certificate
  • (Other approved Identification from list)
  • Non-Driver's ID are only good for 8 years and then must be renewed.
  • If you are 62 or older, it is good for a lifetime.
  • A list of additional acceptable documents is available from the state web site:

$36.25 for 1st time
$31.25 for each replacement
$5.50 for 62 years old or older


The written test is $5.00, cash only.

The issuance fee is $36.25 after successfully completing the written examination(s). Driver's License renewal is $36.25, paid to the License Department.


EFFECTIVE 2/9/2015


Fee Type


A-Class  Dup.



B-Class  Dup.



C-Class  Dup.



A-Class  - New or Renew



B-Class  - New or Renew



C-Class  - New or Renew



CLL-Class A Dup



CLL-Class B Dup



CLL-Class C Dup



D-Class Dup



D-Class - New or Renew






GDL-New or Renew



ID-Dup (1st)



ID-Dup (Subseq)



ID- New or Renew



LL-Class D Dup



LL-Class D - New or Renew



M-Class -Dup



M-Class New or Renew



V-Class Dup



V-Class New or Renew



Out of State Transfer




No change was made to the Senior or Disabled ID fees, as well as the flat $150 fee for an ignition interlock device.

If you are paying by check, it should be payable to: Mark Craig, License Director.


In order for a name change on your drivers license or ID you must first go to the Social Security Office located at 4970 Research Drive, Huntsville 35805 and have your Social Security Card changed. You will be given a form to bring to the office to change your name. You must wait 24 hours after you have been to the Social Security Office before any changes can be made on your license. In addition you will need a CERTIFIED document stating name change - Document from Probate Judge certifying name change, Marriage Certificate or Divorce Decree stating you can return to maiden name.

Alabama Law currently does not recognize as valid any marriage, or union replicating a marriage, of parties of the same sex that occurred or is alleged to have occurred as a result of the law of any jurisdiction regardless of whether a marriage license was issued. Therefore, a marriage license or certificate from another State pertaining to a “same sex” marriage will not be accepted for purposes of changing a person’s name on that person’s driver’s license. In this situation, an individual must petition the Judge of Probate and receive an order granting the name change before their name can be changed on their Alabama driver License.

Fee: $31.25 for duplicate license


Required by law to notify Public Safety:
Drivers License Division
P O Box 1471
Montgomery AL 36102-1471

Provide name, driver's license number, date of birth, and new address.

You will not be given any documentation for your driver's license. Don't forget to change your voter registration at the same time.

Fee: $31.25 for duplicate license, if you want the address changed on your license


Social Security Administration
4970 Research Drive
Huntsville AL 35805
9am to 3pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. 9am to 12pm on Wednesday.

Current Social Security Information

The director of public safety, with the approval of the governor, may establish and promulgate reasonable rules and regulations not in conflict with the laws of this state concerning operation of motor vehicles and concerning the enforcement of the provisions of this chapter.


Study book available.

Statewide licensing of boat operators began in all Alabama counties July 17, 1997, under the Boating Safety Reform Act. The initial boat licensing program will be carried out during the next four years. Under the law, all persons age 12 and older who operate a motorized vessel on Alabama waterways must be licensed by April, 1999. A written examination is required for applicants, except those who were 40 or older on April 28, 1994, or those who have successfully completed boating courses given by the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, the U.S. Power Squadron or the Alabama Marine Police "Boating Basics" course. This legislation, which also provides sanctions for drunken driving and other offenses, has been hailed as the toughest boating act in the country.

Effective January 1, 2002, the minimum age for Boat Operators is 14.

Your license will have a "V" added to indicate your "vessel" license has been added. Your license must be with you when you operate the boat.

Certified Birth Certificate
Social Security Card - Required

If you were born on or before April 28, 1954, you will be exempt from written test. You are also exempt from the written test if you have a boating certificate. You are still required to have the "V" endorsement on your driver license.

If you were born after April 28, 1954, a written test is required.

Certifications can consist of the following:

  • Exam by State Troopers, 1115-A Church St; Huntsville
  • Coast Guard Certification - 256-883-5275 or 256-883-2431
  • Marine Police Certification - 256-582-1099 or 1-888-903-7659 Cost Guard Auxiliary Certification
  • Certification by on-line test (
Anyone 14 years of age or older must have "V" license. (Age changed 1/1/02)

$5 cash to State Troopers for paperwork to add Vessel to license, take eye exam.
$31.25 for duplicate license to add endorsement
$36.25 for 1st time license


Study book available.

Click here for current Alabama motorcycle license information

Must be at least 14 years of age
Birth State issued Birth Certificate
Social Security Card
School Certification

$5 cash for written exam, take eye exam
$36.25 for new license
$31.25 for duplicate license
$31.25 to add endorsement


Alabama adopted the Federal Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986, and is part of a nationally uniform system of classifying, testing, and licensing commercial vehicle drivers.

Click here for current Alabama commercial driver's license information

Drivers License
D.O.T. Medial Long Form (cannot use the medical card)

Contact Public Safety (256-539-0681 or 256-539-0682) for information

$66.25 for Class A
$56.25 for Class B
$36.25 for Class B School Bus
$36.25 for Class C
$36.25 for Class D


International Driver's license must be obtained through the following:

AAA Travel
2625 S Memorial Parkway
Huntsville AL 35801

The following information will be required to obtain an International Driver's License:

2 Passport size photos
Valid U.S. Driver's License
Call 256-539-7493 for current fee information

The license will be good 1 year from effective date and will be issued the same day.

For additional information:


The road test is the final step toward qualifying for the privilege of driving on public streets and highways. A driver's license examiner of the Department of Public Safety gives all road tests. You must furnish a vehicle for the road test.

The vehicle will be checked by the examiner before the test begins. It must be in safe operating condition and have the required equipment. The equipment required for the examination includes rear view mirror, horn, windshield wipers, two separate methods of applying brakes, muffler, headlights, rear tail lights, valid license plate, stop light, and directional signals. You must also have a copy of the license plate receipt and your mandatory liability insurance card in the vehicle. This equipment must be in good operating condition. The license examiner may refuse to give the road test in event of hazardous weather or road conditions.

For additional information on road test go to

If you fail the test, you will be allowed to try again after you have had time to improve your driving. Only one road test per day is permitted.

Unless you already have a legal right to drive in Alabama, you must come for the road test in a vehicle driven by a licensed driver. The licensed driver must remain to drive the vehicle away if you fail.

When you have passed all tests, you will go to the License Department office to have your photo taken, and pay the required fees; you will receive a temporary license with your picture that shows you have the privilege of driving a motor vehicle in Alabama. You will receive your permanent license by mail within 30 days. If you do not receive your license in 30 days, call the driver license division at 334-242-4400.

The license MUST be carried on your person at all times while driving.

Learner's permit
Vehicle for road test - Needs to be road ready
Copy of insurance
Copy of tag registration
Have someone drive you to the testing center.

Fee: No charge for 1st change to have "Y" removed from license


When you obtain your driver's license, you will be asked,"Do you wish to be an organ donor?" If you say Yes, what does that mean?

"Yes" means that you want to give someone a very special gift - a second chance at life. "Yes" means you have decided to give organs or tissues after your death to people who urgently need a transplant. The title Organ Donor will appear on your license.

The urgent need for organ transplants grows daily with over 50,000 people nationally and over 1,000 people in Alabama anxiously waiting. You can save lives through donation. Your choice to become an organ donor can make a life-saving difference for these critically ill people.

You are not under pressure to say, "Yes." This is your personal decision which should be discussed with your family. If you have any questions, call the Alabama Organ Center at 800-252-3677.


  1. Will becoming a donor affect my medical care if I am in an accident? The doctors and nurses treating you will always try to save your life. There is no conflict of interest. These doctors are not part of the transplant team.

  2. Will my body be disfigured by donation? Organs and tissues are removed in an operation at the hospital. Your body is treated with respect and an open casket funeral is possible after donation.

  3. Is my family charged if I am a donor? Families who donate do not pay for the donation. Families pay only for the costs involved in trying to save the life of the injured person. Donation is a gift³not a charge to the family.

  4. Can I wait and talk to my family about organ donation before I decide? Yes, information from the Alabama Organ Center about donation and transplantation is available by calling 1-800-252-3677. Share the facts with your family, talk with the clergy and discuss how they feel about helping others through organ and tissue donation.

Home | Boat License | Business License | Drivers License | Fishing License
Forms | Disability License | Hunting License | Locations | Manufactured Homes | Tags